Overview of the history of the Millennium Development Goals
Millennium Declaration (A/RES/55/2) is the outcome document of the Millennium Summit.
- Contains a statement of values, principles and objectives for the international agenda for the twenty-first century
- A/RES/55/162 requested the Secretary-General "to prepare a long-term 'road map' towards the implementation of the Millennium Declaration within the United Nations system"
- Road map towards the implementation of the United Nations Millennium Declaration : Report of the Secretary-General (A/56/326) sets out the proposed Millennium Development Goals
- A/RES/56/95 "Recommends that the 'road map' be considered as a useful guide in the implementation of the Millennium Declaration ... and invites ... interested parties to consider the 'road map' when formulating plans for implementing goals related to the Declaration"
- No resolution of the General Assembly in 2000 includes the text of the goals
Millennium Development Goals (MDGs)
- Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Achieve universal primary education
- Promote gender equality and empower women
- Reduce child mortality
- Improve maternal health
- Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- Ensure environmental sustainability
- Global partnership for development
- In 2002, the Statistical Commission endorsed the recommendations of the Report of the Friends of the Chair of the Statistical Commission on an assessment of the statistical indicators derived from United Nations summit meetings
- Report of Friends of the Chair E/CN.3/2002/26
- Report of the Statistical Commission E/2002/24
- Report of the Secretary General : Progress report on basic indicators for the integrated and coordinated implementation of and follow-up to major United Nations conferences and summits at all levels (E/2002/53)
- A/RES/57/270B on "Integrated and coordinated implementation of and follow-up to the outcomes of the major United Nations conferences and summits in the economic and social fields"
- para. 29 "Reaffirms the importance of indicators in the review of the progress made in the implementation of all the commitments of the major United Nations conferences and summits"
- Reports of the Secretary-General on the Implementation of the United Nations Millennium Declaration
2005 World Summit
2010 High-level Plenary Meeting of the General Assembly on the Millennium Development Goals
- Outcome: Keeping the promise: united to achieve the Millennium Development Goals (A/RES/65/1)