Security Council Documentation
UN Documentation Research Guide
The Security Council has 15 members:
- Five permanent members with veto power:
- Russian Federation
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- United States of America
- Ten non-permanent members, five of which are elected each year by the General Assembly for a two-year term.
The Security Council does not meet sessionally but stands ready to convene at any time as the need arises.
The Provisional Rules of Procedure of the Security Council are contained in document S/96/Rev.7 (Sales number 83.I.4).
Background information about the work of the Council can be retrieved from the Repertoire of the Practice of the Security Council as well as from the Repertory of Practice of United Nations Organs.
The basic format for the symbols of Security Council documents is:
- S/year/sequential number:
- Example: S/2012/33.
- From 1946 to 1993, the format was S/sequential number:
- Example: S/24111.
All plenary documents of the Security Council, 1946-present, are available online.