Introduction to UN Documents
UN Documentation Research Guide
Index to Proceedings
The Index to Proceedings (ITP) is an invaluable series, especially useful for research on matters prior to 1979. It provides citation to the parliamentary documentation of the principal organs.
Each index has two parts:
- a subject index to all the documents issued for the body, by agenda item;
- an index to speeches delivered.
One index has been issued for each year of the Security Council, and each session of the General Assembly, the Economic and Social Council and Trusteeship Council.
Publication of the indexes lags behind the completion of the sessions of the organs to allow for all documentation to be issued and included.
Official Document System (ODS)
UNBISnet is the library catalogue of the UN Library in New York. It provides a powerful search on the metadata of the UN documents. In addition to the catalogue UNBISnet includes two specialized databases: the Index to Speeches and the Voting Records databases
UN Member States: On the Record
Q Which United Nations official documents are available online?
Documents available online:
- All United Nations documents from 1993;
- All resolutions of the Principal Organs from 1946;
- All Security Council plenary documents from 1946 in English, French and Spanish;
- All supplements to the Official records of the General Assembly from 1946;
- Older documents are being scanned: status of digitization.
UN staff, delegates, accredited media or NGO representatives, can visit or contact a United Nations Library to consult the hard copy.
If the document is not available in the nearest depository library or information centre, the Dag Hammarskjöld Library offers scan-on-demand service.
Find out more United Nations Resources!
You can't find the tool you are looking for?